We envision a Puget Sound region that prevents pollution and manages stormwater in ways that protect our communities and waterways – do you? Now is the time to make sure our cities and counties comply with clean water laws and develop land in a smart way – this will ensure our waterways are safe for swimming and fishing and healthy enough to support wildlife and people.
You have a role to play in shaping the future of your community – take action today! Development codes are written by local government staff, and must go to city and county councils for approval – and these council members are elected to represent people like you. Take a look at how your municipality is doing with low-impact development and let your council members know what kind of future you want to see.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Review the scorecard to see how your local community is performing.
- Decide whether you want to contact your elected officials with a call, email, or by testifying in person.
- Craft and send your message!
CONTACTING YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS
Your city and county councils make important decisions, and they welcome comments from their community members. Find out who represents you and let them know how they scored!
CRAFTING YOUR MESSAGE
We’ve put together a few tips about how to craft your message:
- Talk about the future you want for your community and describe how these changes will impact you directly. Personal narrative is critical.
- Ask how council members plan to help achieve these goals.
- Clearly indicate your support for low-impact development.
- Build off our sample scripts:
Sample script: for a phone call
Sample script: for an email
Sample script: for testifying in person
WANT TO DO MORE?
Talk to your neighbors about LID in your area. Together we can build healthy communities that will sustain and nourish our region, and future generations, while helping us solve the problems of the present.
Still have questions?